22.11.09

Home

Its forests and its fields roll on and echo of New York City. An hour long train ride away from the steel and concrete, the smell of a hot dog stand, the shade of a skyscraper, and the honks of a thousand impatient minds. Home to me is New Jersey, on a nugget of green land, the hills of Chester.

Created in peace, and a loving family, no unique struggle marks my younger life. I may tell stories of my youth and drama will be an exaggeration. Growing through mistakes, I've been a quick learner, but my persistent need for independence is one of my main sources of grief.

I'm willing to throw away everything I've worked for because I'm convinced everything that will matter in the long run could never be held or even pointed at.

Within my insular upbringing lies an unsatisfied curiosity, a fostered need for exposure. Studying and living has shown me such a diverse but xenophobic world. In our ethnocentrism I see humanity's biggest problem, an inability to accept our common nature as mortals, flawed.

I have always sought escape and have a natural drive to resist. In the basement of a church for twelve years in respectful silence I battled indoctrination. Inspired by the diversity of culture and perspective that television, films, reading, my friends, and the internet made me conscious of, I have become imaginative and reactive.

In this column, I hope to get personal, share my reactions and experiences of myself and the planet Earth I've lived.

Spoken in my voice and created in my mind, a little ambition and a mission weave these silk strands of the web. Riding the jCurve you can find the entertaining escapes and imaginative insights which I either produced or simply regard as especially beautiful.

I am a student, aspiring storyteller, geography and electronic media major, today I call the University of Miami my home and you my friend.

Thank YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment